Graduation is approaching quickly. Where has the time gone? You’ve spent time in the dorms and library, met new friends, maybe even studied abroad. But what haven’t you done? Make sure to check these items off your Bucky List before graduation day!
1. Walk, bike or run to Picnic Point and enjoy the beauty of Madison and our campus. Stretching nearly a mile long, it is one of campus’s most distinctive features.
2. Spend time on the Memorial Union Terrace. Watch the sunset and listen to live music. Originally built in 1928 with the purpose of serving as the “undergraduate playground,” the Terrace has most definitely served its purpose.
3. Visit the Wisconsin State Capitol and take a tour. The capitol is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on the weekends from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Reaching a height of more than 265 feet, it’s one of the biggest state capitols in the country.
4. Study, relax or fling a frisbee on Bascom Hill, the sloping green area in the heart of campus. Originally known as the College Hill, it became UW property when the university was established on July 26, 1848.
5. Stop by one of the many food carts, located on Library Mall and elsewhere on campus, to enjoy a sandwich, smoothie, gyro, rice dish or other delicacy.
6. Get your photo taken with Bucky Badger. UW-Madison’s mascot can be found at sporting events, special occasions and parades, and he’s always willing to indulge in a selfie.
7. Rub Abe’s foot and whisper your future plans in his ear. The statue of our 16th president seated in a chair at the top of Bascom Hill offers good luck before exams, athletic competitions or the rest of your life.
8. Sing “Varsity” with friends in a random location: On the walk to class, in the middle of a restaurant or maybe in the Memorial Union.
9. Go sailing on Lake Mendota. The Hoofer Sailing Club began in 1939 and offers sailing to both students and Union members. In addition, the club offers lessons to help students learn how to sail or improve their skills.
10. Attend the Dane County Farmers’ Market, held on Saturday mornings in the Capitol Square starting April 15. About 300 vendors offer vegetables, flowers, cheese, bakery items and even flowers and plants.
11. Enjoy a dish of Babcock Hall Ice Cream. The ice cream is made right here on campus. Stop by Babcock Hall Dairy Store to try one of the many different ice cream flavors, cheese or enjoy a delish Babcock breakfast or lunch sandwich.
Got another one? Add an item to the Bucky List for a chance to win some Badger swag.